The History of Calvin Presbyterian Church, Halifax, NS

In 1953, a Planning Committee was instrumental in the spade work of organizing a new church, (Calvin) in Northwest Halifax. In March 1954, a Westmount area survey was conducted under the supervision of Rev. A.E. Morrison. On December 9, 1956, he called a meeting of all persons in the Westmount area, who were willing to support this new church.

Many families showed interest and pledged their support, and eventually these families petitioned Presbytery to form a congregation. The first worship service was held in the Westmount School, on March 31, 1957 with 27 adults and 13 children in attendance. On September 12, 1957, the interim Session met. Rev. A.E. Morrison was asked to correspond with Rev. A.O. MacLean, (who was then in Coburg, Ontario) and ask him to lead this new congregation. This correspondence proved successful, and Rev. MacLean began his new charge on October 12, 1957, when he and his family were welcomed to Halifax, by Rev. Morrison. In September 1957, the congregation had begun worshiping in Edgewood School, with the first Communion Service being held on December 15, 1957. Reception of members was held on March 28, 1958, when 67 members joined by transfer and 14 on Profession of Faith.

In June 1958, the congregation moved to St. Andrew’s School. Shortly after,  plans were laid for the building of a church on Ashburn Avenue. The sod for which was turned on July 14, 1959, and the corner stone was laid on February 21, 1960, by Rev. A.O. MacLean. On May 29, 1960, the Rev. John Cameron, Moderator of Presbytery, officiated at the dedication of the church sanctuary with Rev. J.A. Munro, Secretary of Home Missions, as a guest preacher.

Calvin Church had four Ministers: The Rev. Dr. A.O. Maclean, The Rev. Cedric Pettigrew, The Rev. W.G.S. (Sydney) McDonald and The Rev. Michael Koslowski.

In its 50+ years, the congregational life had revolved around its Mission Statement: “Worship, Teaching, Fellowship, Service, and Outreach – Striving to live the Christian life in today’s world.”

On September 15, 2013, Calvin amalgamated with Knox. Our history continues together, as one, from this point onward.